National Director of Patient Safety in England and a Deputy Chief Medical Officer
Department of Health and Social Care
Dr Aidan Fowler is the National Director of Patient Safety in England and a Deputy Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health and Social Care. Since March 2020 he has been on secondment to the Office of the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty.
- Director of NHS Quality Improvement and Patient Safety and Director of the 1000 Lives Improvement Service for NHS Wales, with responsibility for quality improvement and patient safety across the Welsh NHS
- Board member of Public Health Wales
- Worked briefly as a Medical Director in Mental Health and Community care in Worcestershire
- Executive at University Hospitals Bristol while on the NHS Leadership Academy Fast Track Executive Training Programme
- Consultant colorectal surgeon in Gloucestershire for 10 years and Chief of Service for Surgery for 4 years Aidan trained with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement in Boston and was Improvement Adviser to the South West Safer Patient Programme. He worked on patient safety with West of England Academic Health Science Network. He has also worked as faculty with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement in the peri-operative safety domain in Qatar, infection reduction in Portugal and teaching improvement and safety in the UK and internationally.